Wednesday, November 12, 2008

cloth diapering

Alright, several people now have asked me about my cloth diapering experience, so here's a shortcut for me: I'll just blog it!! I'm still very wet behind the ears behind the ears, so my opinions may change as time goes on.

Here's what we did:
I went with a prefold and wraps package in all one size for Seth and Leah to share. The package includes 24 prefolds, 6 wraps, 3 doublers, 2 snappis (stupid invention), and, for me, that also included 4 fitted-2 cotton, 2 hemp (but I worked out a deal with the seller). I make my own disposable wipes and I made some cloth wipes (they work way better than any disposable). I chose prefolds, b/c they're the most economical and that's what we need right now. We use 10-12 diapers a day, so including wipes that's at least $2 a day, and the more I stay at home the more money I save.

Here's what I think:
Cleaning
Maybe I'm a crazy, but it's not as big of deal as you've been led to believe. There are lots of options too. I do a load of diapers a day, but it's a small load and I mainly do it because I want to. I think I've actually started throwing they load in when they're wearing the last 2 wraps. It works for me.

Fitted Diapers
We have Kissaluvs. I think they work great for Seth at night and naps. I've also used them on him a couple of times if I run out of wraps. They say the more you wash them, the more absorbent they get. Leah is in one with a doubler this morning, so we'll see how she did. I do think they're a must for sleeping.

Prefolds
I'm still learning how to wrap them, but I really like them. They, along with everything else, are too big on Leah; she is just so stinkin' little. They are super duper soft and keep getting softer. They are also still shrinking, I think. Like the fitteds, the more you wash them the more absorbent they get.

Wraps
I have only used Thirsties and, like I said, I'm still trying to learn the folding techniques that work for my kids. I like the Thirsties b/c of the double leg gussets to help prevent leaks and the interiors wipes clean, so I can alternate through the day and don't need as many.

Leaking
I'm not going to lie to you, we've had leaks. Mostly at sleep times, but I hope to fix the problem as I work my system. --to be posted later. Leah has the most leaks, but I think it's just b/c everything is too big for her, so yes, sizing is an important part. Since, I stay at home, the leaks are not a big problem, we just change the clothes and move on.

DIY
I'm strongly considering making some velcro pocket fitteds (that's right, I'm combining the best of all worlds) for Leah when we get home. They'll just sit in the wraps we already have. I'm thinking that should work for her. NOW!! If you're considering making your own I highly recommend purchasing a simple package like mine first. First, it allows you to get familiar with cding. Also, it is allowing me to make one fitted at a time, that way I can test each out before I make the next and still continue cding.

Going Out in Cloth
NO WAY!!! These suckers are so bulky, your just begging for you kid to be picked on!! Seriously though, they look so silly... especially on my skinny kids. It looks like there butt exploded. But, around the house, it works, who cares.

THE VERDICT
I'M SOLD! EVERYTIME I USE THEM, I LIKE THEM MORE. I CAN ACTUALLY, TANGEABLY SEE MONEY BEING SAVED. THERE ARE ALSO THE ADDED BONUSES LIKE, NO CHEMICALS ON YOUR BABIES BUTT AND THE WHOLE GREEN THING.

There are a lot of options out there, so do some research and figure out what works for you. I chose my system, b/c:
1. They cost less money.
2. They're suppose to last longer - through more children.
3. Drying time on a prefold is shorter than any of the others.
4. Wraps and prefolds offer more options in expanding your stash.
5. I likes the velcro option better for fit. (Now my friend Leanne used the Bum Genius OS Pocket and her velcro ruined dissappointingly quickly, so she doesn't like velcro. We'll see how my velcro on the Thirsties holds up.)
6. In all aspects of my life, I am currently consumed with getting back to a simpler way of life!

If you have any new or remaining questions, just ask. I currently love this topic!

2 comments:

ConfidentUntilCompletion said...

Ok, I have no kids yet, and I'm obsessed with this concept. I think it worked fine for my parents and their parents, surely it can work for me one day. I will be coming to you about this topic when that day arrives because I honestly don't know anything you are talking about. However, I am eager to learn b/c like you 1.the goal is to somehow stay home one day 2. I will want to save money 3. It is better for the environment. I can't stand throwing out a plastic water bottle, so I can't imagine how I'll feel about diapers. Not there yet, but I am filing this away for when I need to come to you for ideas!

Christina said...

well, like you, i love to teach anything to anyone, so bring it on.