Tuesday, November 18, 2008

whatever situation i am in

This morning I had a spare moment, so I picked up my Women of Character book. Today was focused on Rachel and the pain she dealt with in not having the thing she wanted. While Rachel’s trouble was being unable to have a child, and we all know that I do not share her problem, the same stumbling blocks and methods of coping with all of life difficulties apply. I now see that every stage of life brings its own trials.

Rachel did not respond appropriately to God’s timing. She wanted to rush and fix things; mostly motivated by jealousy. We all know that God’s timing is perfect, but do we believe it when He is forcing us to wait. Debbie Trickett is quoted in this lesson, “Is Jesus enough to make up for this aching void in my soul? I do not always feel that it is so. But it is. Jesus loves me—this I know.”

All of my reading today reminded me of

Matthew 7:9-11:

Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

Philippians 4:11-13

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! this is so applicable to me...i remember coming to that point in our struggle with fertility. is God enough? it wasn't until i was able to truthfully answer 'yes' that i had peace in God's plan for my like. and look at the blessings from Him now!

i also read the passage in phil. last night. i was weeping with so many burdens for others and also for my own shortcomings. God used it (and the orginal text i was reading in 2 thes.) to encourage me. i also thought of you and prayed for you. neat, huh?!